Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I hate this part....


So I have this rule that I don't have sleepovers with gentleman callers for at least 3 months after our first date. This means, if you factor this out, that Liquid Chocolate Eyes (still haven't come up with a non-sucky nickname) should expect to have a sleepover at my house sometime in July.


Which doesn't explain why our second date, which was supposed to be a coffee when he came through town, lasted 38 hours.


Yes folks, 38 hours. Coffee turned into supper, then it turned into watching Tropic Thunder, which then turned into....well, I think you can guess, and ladies don't talk about such things.


Suffice it to say that there may be some chemistry between LCE and myself. In a valiant effort to observe the 3-month rule, I blurted out that this might complicate things if I am still seeing other people and he is still seeing other people. However, in the heat of the moment, this was utterly disregarded by both of us and never mentioned again.


Sooooo....now comes the confusing part. Having had TWO sleepovers on our second date, I am unsure as to whether I can continue to accept other dates with suitors. We didn't talk about it, and it is incredibly awkward to ask these things when you have put the proverbial cart before the horse. I have an allergy to sounding like a clingy female, and asking a fellow on the second date whether or not the relationship is now an exclusive one seems a little needy.


But I DO feel needy. There is a saying that men don't think clearly before they have sex and women don't think clearly after they have sex, and I understand what that means now.


He left yesterday when I had to leave for court, and we had a hot clinch in my living room. And there was no mention of seeing each other again any time soon. He texted me last night to ask how my day went, and we texted back and forth a couple of times, but once again no mention of a third date. And I KNOW I am being neurotic, but I reserve that right, given the infringement of the 3-month rule and the resulting chaos in my little psyche.


I even went so far as to check the online dating site about 6 times since yesterday morning to see if he has signed in (he hasn't, but now it looks like I have - oops).


So while it is very exciting on one level to have a hot new romance, the uncertainty that is incumbent in this stage drives me crazy. Do we now have a standing Saturday night date because we broke the 3-month rule? Can I start writing my name and his last name together and planning the wedding. Just kidding, I know that is totally jumping the gun, but I AM a chick.

5 comments:

  1. I have no great advice here. I am just offering my good intentions to you. Stay calm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, what a web we weave.

    We are all different. Here is my rule...

    I need to know he's been screened at a proper clinic. And when I'm in an intimate kind of relationship with someone, I can't sleep with another. And I can't sleep with someone who's sleeping with others.

    Simply, it boils down to my need to know exactly who I'm sleeping with. If he's sleeping with others and I'm sleeping with him, the unknown factors are just too scary for me to accept.

    For me, it's a health issue, not a "clingy" issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the health issue was in my mind as well. We were careful, but don't think that I also didn't think of that. Coincidentally I went for my big yearly exam today at the doctors and there were condom posters all over the office. These are scary times, and it adds a whole new layer to the dating issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After going to a proper clinic, I don't trust that my family doctor is screening me properly. I was amazed at how uneducated I was after going to the proper place.

    If you're interested, you can do a keyword search on my blog for safe sex and any other related words using index on the right.

    You might be as stunned as I was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's so special about 3 months? Why not 3 hours?

    ReplyDelete