Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Twitterpated??


Ok, I bit the bullet and joined Twitter yesterday. I know, I know, sooooo last month of me. But I have been busy mooning over Liquid Chocolate Eyes (who makes a pretty good cheesecake, by the way), and haven't had a chance to hop on the latest trend.


So on Twitter, I "follow" a diverse group of people: Kevin Smith, Deepak Chopra, Springsteen, etc. But what I found puzzling was that within 5 posts I had 13 people following ME. 13 random people with no connection to me who found either my 3 word profile or my 140 word posts so compelling that they want a running update on their home page.


I feel a certain pressure to entertain, which is hard to do in 140 words or less, dear readers. I much prefer this forum where I can expand on my random thoughts (I know, much to your chagrin).


I am loving Stephen Colbert's tweets, and Jon Stewart's mom's tweets are pretty funny as well: "Kim Kardashian thinks she is a mermaid." I am categorically refusing to follow Ashton Kutcher or Demi Moore, because that would be lame, right? 1 day on twitter and I am already a twitter snob.


I find myself thinking that maybe Twitter is the middle of the end of a literate and rational society. The beginning is, of course, the advent of text speak. LOL, LMAO, WTF, U R WEAR? Yesterday in court, an older judge was addressing an accused, asking them what they wanted to do about a charge - did the accused want to plead guilty or not guilty to a charge of mischief to a local business? The accused responded "well, I can't afford a lawyer because I lost my job, LOL."


Do you hear that, gentle readers? That sucking sound? God just opened the valve and started letting the air out of the earth.

4 comments:

  1. I'm there. I won't follow Ashton or Demi either.

    We should start an elite club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, they don't even have a celebrity nickname that we can hate on (Gyllenspoon, Brangenlina, etc.). I vote for Ashmi. So how about the No Ashmi Club?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, don't do twitter, but i do like reading the random blogs.
    Always an interesting read here, :)

    derek

    ReplyDelete