Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Plenty of Trouble


Ok, so I am going to blame my friend, Squirrel Dater, for this one. Because another friend of ours, Officer Manic, has had some success with a certain online dating service, Squirrel Dater persuaded me to join.

Ok, so it's day one. I have to substitute something for the Whole Body Exercise Machine while it is in the shop.

So Day One is not yet done and I have accumulated 23 email messages.

While I am very appreciative, it has highlighted something for me....people cannot spell these days. Not even a little.

I know this is a bit mean, but I received the following email:

"Hay ther pretty ladie. I think we have a lot of things in comon. If you think so to pleese mesege me back."

Wow.

I am not, by any means, a rocket scientist. But I am finding that I am a tiny bit of an intellectual snob. I don't think that I could date someone who can't spell. Does that make me a bad person? Will I miss out on my soul mate because he doesn't know the difference between "their" and "they're"?

So far I have two fairly decent prospects. At this point, given my very recent break up with the Tricky Man, I am not looking for anything beyond someone with whom to flirt.

11 comments:

  1. Of course you can be selective, that email you received is not to encouraging to meet up with the "Hay there pretty ladie" and all the spelling mistake - no no no! lol
    Good luck in your prospect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's about level of effort. When you care then you apply effort into producing the effect that you want. This applies to spelling and it applies to Tricky Man.

    Every person deserves someone that is willing to put effort into the relationship to make their partner feel like they really matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, in the end, spelling does count!! I knew it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, surely whether someone is nice, funny and loving is better than someone who is screwed up, but can spell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A quick professional question having nothing to do with the blog: is there any reason why a lawyer (solicitor or barrister) cannot defend their spouse? Am having an argument with Hay about this, and she seems to think there's an ethical dilemma, which I cannot see any logic for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is an ethical dilemma in my opinion. A good lawyer is an objective advocate for their client. As a spouse, you have, arguably, an impaired ability to remain objective. Plus, depending on the dynamic in the relationship, as a client you might be less inclined to take your lawyer's advice if you see her more as a spouse than as a professional.

    I speak from experience. I was the Tricky Man's lawyer when we lived together, and he was the absolute WORST client I ever had. Questioned everything. It drove me nuts.

    And then there is the risk. IF the lawyer/spouse gives you negligent or bad advice, your remedy is to sue them for malpractice. Do you feel comfortable suing someone that sleeps in the same bed as you? Probably not. One can only sleep with one eye open for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for that. However, is there any code which says that a lawyer CANNOT represent his/her spouse?

    From what you're saying, it seems purely a personal dilemma and not necessarly something that's covered by regulations / laws.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, it depends on the jurisdiction. Some jurisdictions had codified the above. Also depends on the spouse's professional liability insurance carrier - they may have an exclusion clause that would exclude coverage for any work done for family members.

    My opinion - it is just not worth it. The work can get farmed out to someone else in the firm, if the spouse is not a sole practitioner, or to a friend in the biz if they are a sole practitioner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, back to the illiterate daters' issue. HELL no! If the guy can't spell, what else can't he do? He doesn't pay attention, he doesn't learn, and he certainly doesn't care, and those are prime attritubes for any potential mate, right? He has to pay attention to you so he can learn what you tell him, which will prove to you that he cares. Now where's my ruler? I want to whack him a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spelling is important because if he can't spell the difference between carrot and carat you might end up with a vegetable for an engagement ring.

    PS
    He can't locate his spellchecker?? Wow.

    ReplyDelete