Monday, February 16, 2009

The best and the worst of human nature in one day....



So today at the ski hill was intense, lots of beginners on the hill, and lots of injuries for our skeleton staff.

One of my calls was a little girl who had fallen in the moguls. When I arrived on scene her little friend was crouched down beside her and was wiping her tears. This little 8-year-old girl refused to leave her friend's side until I asked her to go get my patient's mom. When these two little girls met again at the patrol hut, the patient's friend bent down and looked at her friend and asked "Allie, are you ok?" So sweet.

On the flipside, the hill had hired a new maintenance person. When we were eating lunch, this guy asked me how much the hill paid me to ski patrol. I replied "nothing, I do it to help people." And this guy said "you are such a sucker. I never do anything unless it is for money." Sad thing is, he was serious.

It brought to mind this question - is our society losing the idea of public service? Are we doing enough to impress upon our kids that helping others is an important part of being a citizen of the world? What is the future of our society if our children have lost their generosity of spirit?

No comments:

Post a Comment