Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Bob the Dog gets me through....




So, The Tricky Man has not phoned (or emailed or texted) since he stormed out of my back gate, and I don't expect he will. Am I sad? No, I don't think so. I have run all the system checks, and it seems like he was more trouble than he was worth.

So why did I wake up smiling? Because Bob the Dog curled up with me last night in bed and I woke up with a lick on the cheek.





Look at that face...how could anyone be sad??


Bob and I have had quite the ride. He was the world's worst puppy, demon spawn. He ate cellphones, shoes, underwear, photo albums, SUVs.... And he was not endearingly cute like Marley. He didn't like to be touched, hated to cuddle, and shat all over my house.


I shudder to think how evil he was.


We flunked out of 4 obedience schools.


I finally took my evil puppy to a ... behavioralist.


Through a lot of hard work, Bob and I have eased into detente. In this, his eighth year, he still sits in the middle of the floor and barks at me for no reason, he still ducks sometimes when I pet him and he definitely retains a LOT of personality. But I love him, and live in fear of the day that he goes over the "rainbow bridge" (barf, by the way. One of my facebook friends posted that it had been 1 year since her Sadie had gone over the Rainbow Bridge).

By the way, Bob hates the Vibrex 150, and pants, paces and barks at me while I am trying to exercise on it. Once, when I took him on a mountain trail ride, he decided he was disturbed by the idea of me on a horse, grabbed on to the back of my jeans as I attempted to mount "Salsa", and, as the horse bolted down the narrow mountain path, he held on for dear life. All three of us made it down the mountain, barely.

So, when he decides to be sweet, as he was this morning, it is more meaningful. In about 15 minutes, I will put on 16 layers of clothing, venture out in the still-dark morning, and watch him frolic in the snow for a while. While he does this, I look out at the river valley and breath in and out slowly and let peace wash over me.


10 comments:

  1. I shudder to think what a Vibrex 150 is or does.

    Not an automated dog walker, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - it is my exercise machine, dear heart. It oscillates and vibrates as you try to exercise on it. It is not nearly as pleasurable as one might think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not one of those things with a belt that wobbles you around for a bit and at best merely moves the problem areas to another location?

    or are you talking of those cake-walk jobbies you find at funfairs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suggest renaming Tricky Man to Jerky Man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chairman Bill, there is a picture of the contraption on the "Whole Body Vibration Machine Experiment" post. It looks innocuous, but is truly evil. Maelstrom - I totally agree!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks innocuous enough, however I can’t see a machine that shakes you producing much of a benefit beyond aiding digestion.

    The security word verification just now was asizedry. Is that a legal term?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Chairman Bill, you don't just stand on it. You do pushups and such on it. It is much the same challenge as doing exercises seated on an exercise ball. Here is a demonstration video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtIO2LyesAg&feature=related

    Of course, I would much rather be listening to that annoying music in a bubble bath with a glass of wine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This account of a life with a dog that needs domestication is touching and sweet. I'm glad I dropped in.

    ReplyDelete