Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Counting one's blessings

There is a great song by a Canadian Artist named Jan Arden called "Good Mother" that sums up my philsophy today.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRI8DwUa6hQ&feature=related



For the most part, I think that most people have a reason to get up in the morning. Family, kids, dogs, jobs, or simply a craving for that first cup of coffee. Something keeps us going. As Bruce Springsteen sings "people find some reason to believe."



So why is it that some people feel so shorted, so angry, so entitled? People with roofs over their heads and money in their pockets taking the greatest delight in torturing their server in a restaurant to try to mitigate their own emptiness.



I've been up and I've been down. Sometimes I have been dealt what I think is a raw deal. But, as hard as I try, I can't supress the joy I feel each morning during my walk. No matter how cold it is (this morning -29 degrees celsius with the wind), I feel alive and energized and incredibly blessed.



Sometimes in the face of my job, of what I see, it's hard to understand how people can be so cruel to each other. I feel such sadness at the price that some people pay for other people's anger. But I will not surrender to cynicism and apathy.





The path by my house last fall.

4 comments:

  1. //I feel such sadness at the price that some people pay for other people's anger.//

    Me too, sister. Some people just can't move on and are trapped within their anger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynicism and Apathy are good friends of mine and they're pretty disappointed with you atm.

    BTW, getting any results with the Vibrex?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell Cynicism and Apathy that they shouldn't care what I think.

    As for the Vibrex (it sounds soooo dirty), it certainly pisses Bob the Dog off, and I like that result. He has hidden a bone out in the yard, and likes to demand that he visit same at 3am. Call it sweet revenge.

    It's only been a week, it still feels like my uterus is going to fall out, but I notice it has a curious effect on my...um...digestion. I am thinking of recommending it to certain cranky members of the judiciary, who I theorize yell at me because they lack fibre in their diet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I headed home from London to the North of England and spent 2 days walking the old railways I use to walk along in my teens with my 2 dogs.
    Fresh air and open countryside gave me a great sense of well being.
    A feeling I wish I could bottle and take away with me.
    London has never made me feel that way. One day i'll get out for good.
    Enjoy those walks!

    ReplyDelete